Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Yoyogi Park



Cherry Blossom Season is a magical time here in Japan. It does not last long… maybe a few weeks at best, but there is a definite sense of magnificence and fleeting beauty in the air when these small bloom are on the trees. The season came early this year (maybe due to the massive/record breaking amount of snow we received) but it usually peaks in early April and this year peaked on the 21st of March. Cherry blossoms, or sakura represent new beginnings since they come into bloom at the end of winter and bring about spring. In addition to new beginnings, the blossoms are also a symbol of life and a reminder that life is breathtakingly beautiful but exceedingly short.


It is not uncommon for groups to flock to parks and other places with mass amounts of cherry trees to view their blossoms and appreciate their small, delicate splendor. Picnics are quite common as well as people just putting down a blanket and enjoying the spring and a quite rest from the hustle and bustle of Tokyo-life. A few parks that I know of are Showa Park in Tachikawa (15 min train ride) and farther down the Chuo train line is Yoyogi Park in Shibuya (45 min train ride).


This is Chris Lilley. He and I went to Yoyogi Park at the later end of
the season. I got a little stuck with the work schedule since I had recently come back from leave, so I missed getting out and about during the peak of the season. However, there is a street on base that has an arch-like covering of flowers for that one week and is absolutely amazing. The photo I have posted of the street is from Osakabe who works in Public Affairs. Funny story, when my friend Jen was stationed here about 15 years ago, they life-guarded together at the Natatorium. I tell you what though, I was working night shift and every morning I would leave work, this was my view.

Chris and I enjoyed walking through the park and taking pictures of the scenery. We came for the Cherry blossoms but really ended up enjoying the mini gardens that they had as well.





After Yoyogi Park, we walked up through Harajuku into the business area of Shinjuku. I showed him where the random food trucks venue was, we stopped by a temple, then headed back toward the station. On the way to the station was the chopstick shop. I stopped and got my parents some chopstick holders to go with their chopsticks, and Chris got his very own pair of Chopsticks.




Overall, it was a good adventure. A few days later (a week at most) the cherry blossoms were gone. Spring has officially been welcomed to the Kanto Planes.

No comments:

Post a Comment