Thursday, March 29, 2012

We got another letter from Elly today! It answered several questions that I have been wondering about.
19 March 12
Hi guys! So we did the gas chamber today. For some reason I didn't think it would affect me too much...it did...We had the full gear on, which is pants, jacket (with hood), mask and gloves. We went into the chamber and did some jumping jacks then they had us one by one take off the mask, take a big breath and say our reporting statement. I did not expect it to choke me up as much as it did but once I was out my respirations cleared up quickly, I just could not physically keep my eyes open and blink which will make it better. When we were in there, 2 rows of people were on either side of the wall.  When it was our turn to take off our mask 2 people walked up to a set of green footprints, took off the mask, took a deep breath while holding our arms to our chest, said our reporting statement, got the thumbs up (or down) from the instructor, then had to CALMLY WALK out. Once outside we put our arms out to make a "T" and took a few laps around a lot to "air out". Backing up...when it was my turn, I was waiting for the other girl to go and she was waiting for me to go...ended up having to take 2 big breaths (which as previously mentioned really burns). I guess there was a guy taping it as we went out...I'm sure I look awesome, eyes all red, tearing, unable to hold them open, mouth wide open gasping for breath and coughing, arms spread out like an idiot blindly walking toward someone's voice. :)

We are having a tornado warning now and have 89 girls jammed in the hall and bathroom of one of the dorms. I have no fear but I do find it a tad bit funny that for some of the girls, this is their first tornado warning and they are absolutely flipping out. Yep, I'm definitely getting to where I know who annoys the crap out of me and who doesn't... What keeps me sane (for the most part) is that I only have roughly a month left.

20 March 12
Tornado warning got called off.. We were packing for the obstacle course that was supposed to be today. Unfortunately, they called it off because of thunder and lightning until approx. 0500.  We were up at 0345 to get our dorm all set and we were going to leave at 0600. The weather is beautiful now (1025) but as you know, they already called it off and don't really call it back on. I hear if a flight misses it they cannot reschedule it and that makes me very let down because I was really looking forward to it. Nothing I can do about it though so I won't dwell. Instead, today we took apart and reassembled our weapons. Honestly, not as hard as I thought it would be, now just a matter of cutting my time down.

Yesterday we got MRE's for lunch and they were pretty great. They had coffee in them so I was ecstatic about that.

25 March 12
This week has gone by pretty quickly...After I got off the phone with you we went to chow and I got called to the snake pit and a high up guy asked how things were with one trainee. (I told you guys that we were just talking in the dayroom about a problem child in the dorm) I didn't lie and told it how it was, some other people were called up as well and she was recycled. I feel a bit bad for it...but actually not really. Our marching has already been better, our attitude has been better too.

Our TI asked us yesterday what we talk about when he's not around. Our answer, chow. It is said (and is totally true) that we live from chow to chow and day to day. The new craze is toppings at breakfast. Toppings being like the cherry pie filling that we put on cheesecake at home. They have cherry, apple, peach and blueberry depending on the day. The best is the blueberry (I think) and goes exceedingly well on a biscuit or pancakes. I like having oatmeal during the weekdays with cinnamon, peanut better and honey in it ... or some toppings.   :)  On the weekend is when I splurge and will have pancakes or french toast...with toppings.   :)  Even though things are mass produced, everything is pretty decent. Our TI (before he was a TI) was a fitness specialist so he makes sure we eat healthily and he knows that chocolate milk has the carbs, sugar, calcium...etc. so that it is like a protein shake after working out. Long story short, we get to drink chocolate milk!

The BX is like a Walgreen's with more military geared stuff. I hang out with Mitchell, Sullivan and Humphry quite a bit. Humphry is a chapel guide so she was gone the majority of today (Sunday). Mitchell, Sullivan and I marched over to the BX for some supplies. It is definitely warming up here. We went about 1000 and it was already warm and humid. I thought in my head "it's gonna be hot in the big silver pot" today.    Mom note: This is from Little Mermaid and we have said it since we saw the movie when Elly was a little girl.  While we were at the BX we saw an entire aisle filled with chocolate and other bad for you junk food. On the list of things I miss...
1. You guys (obviously)
2. Chocolate
3. Strawberry ice cream
4. Music
5. alcohol
6. Personal space
7. Quiet time
Well, this list could go on for awhile... haha

No comments:

Post a Comment