Sunday, June 10, 2012

Still here and doing well

So it appears that I have been slacking on updating the blog. In my defense, not too much is different and getting some Internet time is a bit of a challenge.

I am still at Fort Sam Houston outside of San Antonio, TX and it is hot. I have ATP now which means that I can leave base and although I don't take full advantage of that privilege, I have explored some of San Antonio and enjoy the Riverwalk. Humidity aside, I have enjoyed TX so far. I have found some cool places around town that not too many tourists and military people know about.

As far as things on base are concerned, I am a black rope (which is for drill team) and I am also an Airman Mentor which is when the new Airmen come, we take care of them for the first week. Since I am still in school, it is more of a one day a week obligation but in a few weeks it will be my full time daily duty. That is because I have completed the nursing portion of my training and on Monday I will be starting the Air Force Specifics class which is 2 weeks. After that, I will have graduated from technical training at Sam Houston but I will be on an administrative hold for a week or so. After I am done with here I head to a Phase II location, which I do not know where it will be yet, but there has been delays in students advancing to Phase II locations. There are only 6 bases that take Phase II students and those spots have been full and some of the instructors deployed so that takes spots away as well. I may not be explaining it all that well but I hardly know what's going on so it's difficult to explain.

I did manage to make it home for Memorial Day and surprise some family and friends. It turned out to be a much shorter trip than I anticipated and although I tried, I did not manage to make my rounds to see everyone I wanted to. That being said, I had a fantastic and relaxing weekend that was very much needed. The weather was wonderful and I think I was smiling ear to ear the entire time I was there. It almost brought a tear to my eye flying back into NE, when we finally broke under the clouds and I could see my homeland again.

I should be finding out where my Phase II location will be soon, hopefully within this next week and I will make sure to post it up here. Also, photos from my surprise visit home are to follow.

Again, I want to thank everyone for the continued support. You all are never far from my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment