Keesler AFB- Biloxi, MS
My Moms (Doty AND Connie) came down for a few days and they were kind enough to trade fabric shopping for car shopping and I bought myself a new vehicle for my new (supposed 3 yr) assignment to Colorado!
Connie went on to say hi to Casey in Tampa… Hi Casey!... and my Mama and
I went to New Orleans for the weekend. We had a blast. Who knew that drinking hard liquor and
running through the streets at 8:00AM was socially acceptable haha. Just Kidding… Turns out it was Bastille’s Day and they had a
“Running of the Bulls” which was 5,000 people dressed in red and white being
chased by 500 roller derby girls dressed up like bulls… needless to say, it was
a blast. We also went on a culinary bike tour that was absolutely delicious!
After, we went to Oak Alley Plantation and also just drove around New Orleans
more. We just had fun! Totally worth while and I will most definitely be going
back to New Orleans, so glad my mom was able to come down for a long weekend to
share in such a great time.

Other weekends while I was there I went to Covington, LA which is a tad
more than an hour away from base. “What the heck is in Covington, LA?” You say?
Well, it is just a town like any other, really… but the town next to it is
Abita Springs. Abita Springs, LA is the home of my favorite brewery in the
whole entire world (so far)… and after visiting there I have found that it is
simply just an amazing town. For those of you that have seen the movie Big Fish, it is the town of
Proctor minus the creepiness; just all the good parts. For those of you that
have not: Picture in your head field of the softest, greenest, perfectly
trimmed grass, the field is surrounded by different kinds of trees. There is a
white gazebo on the front corner of the field and an old yellow railroad car
about 100 ft away from it. The gazebo has lights at night and the people are
friendly. In fact, the Abita Opry practices every Sunday in the railroad car… that
is also a museum… (it is a small town, haha). Anyway, Abita is my favorite
brewery and I toured the brewery. The brew house is separate but just down the
road. It also serves food and that is where I had the best shrimp po-boy I have
ever had to date. Just saying.
At the end of my time at Keesler, I was blessed to have more friends come for my graduation. Mandy and Jen! You know us girls, we were completely well behaved and had absolutely no mishaps whatsoever stopping by the beach, and the shrimpin’ boats, and New Orleans, and GRACELAND… yep, no stops on the way back to Nebraska… Love you ladies!!
Overall, I will miss Keesler. I will be back to the South,
maybe to visit, maybe to stay, time will tell. Two things for certain are that
I do miss it there and I do love Abita.






No comments:
Post a Comment